Ducati rider Bagnaia stands on the precipice of an historic first world championship coming into this weekend’s penultimate spherical of the season, as he goals to grow to be the primary rider to have overturned a 91-point deficit and brush apart 5 DNFs to win the title.
Bagnaia has received six occasions to date this season, 5 of these coming after he crashed out of June’s German GP – the incident which left him trailing Yamaha’s Fabio Quartararo by 91 factors.
Ending third final weekend on the Australian Grand Prix, Bagnaia now leads reigning world champion Quartararo by 14 factors after the Frenchman crashed out of the Phillip Island race.
4 riders are mathematically in with an opportunity of profitable the title nonetheless this season, with Bagnaia 14 factors away from Quartararo, 27 factors forward of Aprilia’s Aleix Espargaro and 42 forward of Gresini Ducati’s Enea Bastianini.
How can the 2022 MotoGP title be received on the Malaysian GP?
- If Bagnaia wins and Quartararo is fourth or decrease, Bagnaia is the world champion no matter the place Espargaro and Bastianini end.
- If Bagnaia is second and Quartararo is seventh or decrease, Bagnaia is the world champion no matter the place Espargaro and Bastianini end.
- If Bagnaia is third and Quartararo is 11th or decrease, Bagnaia is the world championship if Espargaro shouldn’t be first or second.
- If Bagnaia is fourth and Quartararo is 15th or decrease, Bagnaia is the world champion if Espargaro shouldn’t be on the rostrum.
- If Bagnaia is fifth and Quartararo doesn’t rating, Bagnaia is the world champion if Espargaro shouldn’t be on the rostrum.
- If Bagnaia is sixth or decrease, he won’t be world champion no matter the place Quartararo finishes. Espargaro have to be fourth or greater to maintain his title hopes alive.
- If Bagnaia finishes ninth right down to 13th, Bastianini should win to maintain his title hopes alive
- If Bagnaia finishes 14th or decrease, Bastianini should end first or second to maintain his title hopes alive
Francesco Bagnaia, Ducati Crew
Photograph by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images
When was the final time a Ducati rider received the MotoGP title?
A Ducati rider final received the MotoGP world championship in 2007, when Casey Stoner received the primary of his two sequence titles.
It stays to this date Ducati’s solely title in MotoGP because it joined as a producer in 2003.
When was the final time an Italian rider received the MotoGP title?
An Italian rider has not received the MotoGP world championship since Valentino Rossi tallied up his seventh premier class success in 2009 with Yamaha.
Since then, the championship has gone to a few riders from Spain, one from Australia and one from France.
As Bagnaia is a product of Valentino Rossi’s VR46 Academy, the title for him in 2022 can be a big milestone for the nine-time grand prix bike world champion’s expertise improvement undertaking.
When was the final time the MotoGP title went right down to the ultimate spherical?
Ought to the championship go unclaimed in Malaysia this weekend, it should imply the title will go right down to the wire for simply the fifth time within the trendy period starting in 2002.
The final time was in 2017, when Ducati rider Andrea Dovizioso saved his slim hopes in opposition to Marc Marquez alive right down to the finale in Valencia. Marquez received the title.
Two years previous to that, Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo engaged in a venomous finale to a vastly controversial 2015 championship season in Valencia. Lorenzo received the race and the championship, as Rossi completed fourth having needed to begin final for a collision with Marquez in Malaysia on the earlier spherical.
Valencia performed host to the 2013 title determined between Lorenzo and Marquez, with the latter claiming the spoils to grow to be MotoGP’s first rookie champion since 1983.
In 2006, Rossi and Nicky Hayden took their title battle to the wire in Valencia. A crash for Rossi allowed the late Hayden to win a extremely emotional championship.