The 2021 Qatar Bike Grand Prix takes place this weekend on the Losail Worldwide Circuit. Do you know that that is the place Casey Stoner first gained in MotoGP? That the best velocity within the historical past of the class was recorded there, however not formally? Try these anecdotes, and eight extra.
– The primary of … The Grand Prix of Qatar has been, since 2007, the occasion the place the Bike Dash World Championship begins. Consequently, it’s subsequently additionally usually the scene of the “firsts”: the primary race within the historical past of the Moto2 (2010) and Moto3 (2012) class, but in addition the primary Grands Prix of fairly just a few folks of their careers, and even the primary of pilots with explicit bikes. For instance, it will likely be Danilo Petrucci’s first race on KTM in 2021.
– At night time since 2008. The Qatar Grand Prix is the one one within the historical past of the world championship to have taken place in night time circumstances – it nonetheless is right this moment. The change happened in 2008 for a number of causes. Sporty, on the one hand: driving at extra nice temperatures than in the midst of the day, when the warmth of the desert is overwhelming for the drivers. Media and politics, then again: to focus on (what a expertise for puns!) Qatari tender energy.
– Race shifted to Monday. The 2009 Grand Prix happened beneath distinctive circumstances. Rain flooded the circuit on Sunday and made it inconceivable for the MotoGP race to run easily, for security causes however above all for lighting – reverberations linked to the mixture of puddles + night time. The MotoGP race didn’t happen on Sunday however on Monday. In 2017, the identical causes led to the cancellation of qualifying on Saturday.
– The quickest velocity ever recorded. On March 12, Johann Zarco was flashed at 357.6 km / h on the finish of the Losail pit straight. That is the best velocity ever recorded by a MotoGP rider. The report shouldn’t be official, nevertheless, because it was set throughout a check and never a Grand Prix. The reference to beat subsequently stays 356.7 km / h (Andrea Dovizioso at Mugello in 2019).
– The aspiration, so vital. Permit rather less than ten seconds (a dozen in Moto3) between exiting the final nook and crossing the end. You’ll perceive: within the occasion of a struggle on the final lap, the suction phenomenon and engine energy are decisive elements in successful the Grand Prix. In Losail, whoever comes out of the final nook within the lead shouldn’t be essentially the one who crosses the road because the winner.
– The place Stoner blew up. The Losail circuit was, in 2007, the place the place a champion got here to gentle, triumphing for the primary time in MotoGP. New official Ducati rider, Casey Stoner, to everybody’s shock, nailed everybody to the spot by having a near-perfect weekend, which ended with a victory in opposition to Valentino Rossi. He then gained in 2008, 2009 and 2011. The success report holder Jorge Lorenzo, nevertheless, stays on the highest step of the rostrum 6 occasions (2004 in 125cc, 2006-2007 in 250cc, 2012-2013 then 2016 in MotoGP).
– The temple of… Yamaha! Energy often is the key to successful at Losail, nevertheless it’s not the one issue. The proof is with the a number of victories of Yamaha, probably the most profitable constructor in Qatar: eight successes in MotoGP because of Valentino Rossi (2005, 2006, 2010, 2015), Jorge Lorenzo (2012, 2013, 2016) and Maverick Viñales (2017 ). At the moment, the velocity deficit of the Yamaha YZR-M1 was not so disadvantageous that right this moment.
– The winner of the previous few occasions shouldn’t be right here. Winner in 2018 and 2019, Andrea Dovizioso shouldn’t be firstly of the Qatar Grand Prix this yr. The 2020 version of the occasion was canceled as a result of Covid-19 epidemic – Moto2 and Moto3 riders had been capable of trip as a result of they had been already there on the time of the restrictions. The final rider on the grid this yr to have gained in MotoGP is subsequently Maverick Viñales, winner in 2017.
– No Qatari pilot. Qatar is, with Finland, the one territory on the calendar to obtain a Grand Prix with out having a single native driver from the nation firstly of the world championship. The final Qatari to have participated in a racing weekend are Saeed Al Sulaiti and Nasser Al Malki, entered within the 2017 Qatar Grand Prix within the Moto2 class.
– A Marseillaise. Just one French rider managed to win at Losail: Alexis Masbou, winner in 2015 within the Moto3 class. The Habs emerged victorious in a really shut struggle the place the highest 9 had been held in beneath a second, and the highest 13 in beneath 2 seconds.
Qatar: MotoGP riders figures (2021)